The current gotta have craze is Quick Response Codes (QR). The hype suggests that millions of people are just dying to scan every QR image they come across and will marvel at wherever their magic phone takes them. It doesn’t work that way!
Like the now ubiquitous barcode, a QR code image is another way to embed information in an image. But the information is only actionable by a device that can interpret the image. If you don’t have a QR code scanner, you’ll need a phone with a camera and a QR code reader application (app). You use the phone to take a picture of the code and the app software interprets and performs an action based on the data embedded in the image.
Here are some suggestions on how you can use QR codes:
- For some people, saving your contact information is easier if you place a QR code on the back of your business card. They scan the code and have all your contact information in their phone.
- Put a QR code at the bottom of a promotional piece to direct the reader to a landing page that contains a sign up for a free report.
- The code can be used to test direct response promotions. Test different offers by monitoring the landing page, or providing special offers and tracking the response.
- Place a QR code on the bottom of the customer’s invoice when they pick up their car. It can direct them to special future offers, sign up for your Preferred Clients Program, link to a satisfaction survey, link to a video, or any other after-sale, repeat-business generator you can think of.
- Perhaps you can have a series of teaching videos on your site that explain various repair/service procedures. Place a code on their estimate that directs them to an index of the available videos. You can suggest they view the video for more information about whatever procedure you will be doing on their vehicle.
- There aren’t many products sold by auto repairs but if you do, a code on the product package could direct the user to a landing page, blog post, video, or any medium that improves their results.
If you like, we can place an article in your Auto-Insights explaining QR codes, how they’re used, and how your client can add the application to their smart phone.